If you are a foreign property owner thinking of selling your Venice FL home or condo, you will need to know about FIRPTA, the Foreign Investment Real Property Tax Act.


FIRPTA is a withholding, not a tax.  The amount withheld is applied to the seller's total US tax liability for the calendar year in which the property is sold.


The buyer of your property is responsible for making sure the FIRPTA withholding is collected and sent to the IRS. Typically, this is collected at the property closing.  The buyer incurs liability to the IRS if this withholding is not collected and the property seller has outstanding taxes due.


Effective 2/16/2016, the FIRPTA withholding tax law will change.


  • A mandatory withholding of 15% will apply to property sales over $1,000,000;

  • If the sales price is $300,000 or less on a property used as a residence, withholding is not required;

  • If the sales price is $300,000 to $1,000,000 and the property is used as a primary residence, the withholding amount is 10%.


"I had the winning bid on three homes with multiple offers, thanks to David's expertise."

RF, Sarasota


In most situations, yes.  However, a foreign seller may avoid the FIRPTA withholding if they have a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN), or if they can show they have a Green Card as a resident alien, or by meeting the "Substantial Presence" test in accordance with IRS regulations.  Documented 1031 exchanges also may negate a FIRPTA withholding.


The foreign seller may also avoid FIRPTA charges at closing by providing an IRS Withholding Certification proving that their total tax liability is less than the 10% FIRPTA withholding.


It is important to understand that since the buyer of the property will incur tax liability if FIRPTA is not collected and the seller does not fulfill their tax obligations, the buyer may elect not to waive collecting FIRPTA at closing.


Your Realtor should be aware of the broad ramifications of how FIRPTA may affect you as a foreign seller when listing your property for sale.  


However, because FIRPTA is tax law, you should always consult a qualified title agent, accountant, or real estate attorney, to determine if you will be required to pay the FIRPTA withholding at closing.


Licensed FL Broker Associate

FL license BK3045865

David Barr Venice FL Realtor
David Barr Venice FL Realtor
David Barr Venice FL Realtor Berkshire Hathaway

Part 107 commercially licensed UAV operator



  • David Barr Realtor YouTube Channel
  • David Barr Realtor Facebook Page
  • David Barr's Instagram

follow me

David Barr Venice and Wellen Park FL Realtor

**Disclaimer: HOA ,condo fees, and management companies are subject to change without notice.  Please call the appropriate management company for any and all questions.


© 2021 Stellar MLS. All rights reserved. 
The data relating to real estate displayed on this website comes from the Internet Data Exchange (IDX) Program of My Florida Regional Multiple Listing Service, Inc. Not all listings are mine or those of Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Florida Realty.  Listings displayed are based on my service area and online search keywords for the relevant page.  All listing information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified through personal inspection by appropriate professionals. Listings displayed on this website may be subject to prior sale or removal from sale; availability of any listing should always be independently verified. Listing information is provided for consumers' personal, non-commercial use, solely to identify potential properties for potential purchase; all other use is strictly prohibited and may violate relevant federal and state law.